Wednesday 15 June 2011

Simple Thai dinner

I've found that more and more I cook Asian dishes.  Thai, Chinese, Filipino, Indian - I just love the spices.  And coriander is a flavour I really enjoy - I even occasionally use it in scrambled eggs to jazz it up!  Yes, I know I'm strange.

The other thing is I like my food super spicy.  So this particular evening I was on my own and decided to try and cook some fish.  This is something that I hardly ever do - not because I don't like fish but because I'm never really sure how to cook it and what to do (there were a couple unfortunate incidents).  So this time, to make it as easy as possible, I used a recipe I'd made many times, but instead of adding chicken I used fish.


Fish Thai green curry
Serves 4
2 large pieces of cod (or any other white fish) cut into chunks
2 tablespoons Thai green curry paste
1 can of coconut milk
Soy sauce/fish sauce to taste
1 teaspoon cane sugar (optional)
Chillies, finely chopped (optional)
1 handful of fresh coriander
1 tablespoon vegetable
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach
Rice (I like brown rice, but you can use Jasmine or any other long grain rice)


1.  Cook the rice as per the instructions on the packet
2.  In a heavy pan, heat the oil.  Add the onions and fry until translucent then add the garlic.  Fry for a few more minutes.  Add the curry paste and fry for a few more minutes.
3.  Add the coconut milk and cane sugar - stir until it becomes a smooth sauce. Add the frozen peas, spinach, chillies and coriander.  Bring to a boil.
4.  Reduce to a simmer and add the fish.  Cover and simmer for 7-10 mins, until the fish is fully cooked.
5.  Taste and add soy sauce (or fish sauce) as necessary.  Serve hot over rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment