Wednesday 9 March 2011

Breakfast at Plan 9, Maida Vale

If I'm completely honest, I prefer spending weekend mornings at home cooking up exactly what I want, in my pj's, lounging around watching Saturday Kitchen. But sometimes, especially if it's nice outside and there's nothing in the fridge, a visit to the local brunch place is a treat. 

I've been to Plan 9 once before, a year or two ago.  I remember enjoying it then.  There was no real good reason that I'd not gone back, except laziness I guess.  So when picking a place to go last weekend, this was the obvious choice - especially as the other two diners had not been before.  The interior is quite quirky - I think the full name is supposed to be Plan 9 Space and Time Cafe and they have tried to add an element of sci fi to the space.  There are not that many seats - a couch, two armchairs, maybe 4 tables with a couple of chairs around each and 3 or 4 more tables outside (complete with blankets for chillier days).  There are also a couple of computers which I assume is for customers wanting to surf the web.  It's very relaxed and possibly a little worn.

The menu consists of breakfast fare (served all day) - fry ups, eggs in various forms, sausage and bacon butties - as well as a selection of sandwiches and cakes.  Drinks included coffees and teas as well as 5 or 6 different options of fruit smoothies.  We went for a couple of smoothies, a coffee, a couple of fry ups (one veggie, one regular) and a bagel with cream cheese and salmon, scrambled eggs and a side of sliced avocado.  The smoothies were tasty - I think they were made from frozen fruit though.  Overall the fry ups were made from good quality produce, not greasy and enough to fully fill you up.  The pork sausages were possibly a tad over perfumed, but that was the only criticism.  The bagel (which I got to choose from  4 different varieties) was lightly toasted and stuff with lots of delicious smoked salmon and just enough cream cheese.


Strangely there does not seem to be a toilet in the place - I didn't ask but I'm not really sure where it would fit?  Also ventilation is slightly lacking, so we smelt a bit like sausages when we left - not so much of a problem in summer though as you can just sit outside.  They also sell a number of various American treats, such as Pop Tarts, Oreo Cookies and the absolute best, Kraft Mac and Cheese (the Cheesiest!).  It does seem to be quite a popular place on the weekend, so make sure you show up before noon to ensure you get seated quickly.  They also have a Tex Mex evening on Thursdays which I have yet to try - it's only a matter of time as you know I love burritos!

No comments:

Post a Comment