Thursday 9 June 2011

How do asparagus grow?

So a couple of weeks ago I learnt something new...how asparagus grow!  I have to say, I'd never really thought about it too much, but I suppose I thought they either came off bushes.  Like peas maybe.  Or possibly like strawberries.  Or maybe underground, like potatoes.  But that's all wrong, they grow completely differently to that!

Near my parents house, there is one of those farms where you can pick your own fruit and vegetables.  As it was late May they had asparagus and strawberries (although it is a bit early for strawberries - they are generally at their best between June and August, but they have come early this year with the hot weather).  The strawberries, as expected, come from very low bushes.  Suprisingly though, the asparagus were in a very dry looking area.  The plants are very small and the asparagus grow straight up from the grown.  Picking is a loose term for them because you actually just snap them off.  It was amazing, hundreds of asparagus around me poking up from the ground!  Within minutes we had half a kilo of them.



So to celebrate this, I had to cook a dish worthy of this delight.  The obvious choice would have been asparagus with poached eggs and holandase sauce.  But as I had some smoked salmon and I wanted something a bit more healthy, I went for asparagus and avocado toast with smoked salmon!

 Asparagus and avocado toast with smoked salmon
Serves 2
A few slices of smoked salmon
20 asparagus spears
1 large avocado (or two small)
1/4 onion, finely chopped
4 slices of bread (best for this is a whole wheat or seeded loaf)
Pinch of salt
Tabasco (optional)

1.  Scoop the avocado into a bowl and mash lightly.  Add the finely chopped onion, salt and Tabasco to taste and mix.
2.  Toast the bread then spread the avocado mixture on the slices.
3.  Lightly steam the asparagus - this takes a couple of minutes.  Do not overdo it!
4.  Layer the asparagus on the toast.
5.  Serve with the smoked salmon on the side or on top of the asparagus and ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment