Tuesday 4 January 2011

The cheese hangover

Now, being someone who loves cheese more than probably any other food in the world, it's hard to believe that I could ever get tired of it.  Or worse yet, have a cheese hangover.  But this festive season I think I truly overdid it.

My favorite cheese board was the first one of the season.  We kept it simple with a Brie de Meaux and a Montgomery's Cheddar, which I got from Paxton and Whitfield.  Now I must admit, this was my first time in this cheese shop.  My usual favorites are La Fromagerie and Neal's Yard Dairy, but as this was around the corner from work so I thought I'd give it a try.  It is an impressive shop, with an amazing array of mainly British cheeses. I was a bit disappointed that you had to ask to taste the cheese, but I'm guessing it was because it was the Christmas season.

Brie de Meaux

It always surprises me that Brie de Meaux, which is actually a French cheese, is usually available at most British cheese shops.  Don't get me wrong, I love this soft cheese with a subtle taste when young and an almost overpoweringly nutty, pungent taste when aged.  I guess there must be many other English people that share this love. I like mine aged,and eaten simple - on bread or water biscuits - with a large glass of wine!

Montgomery's Cheddar
I'm not usually a huge fan of cheddar.  I'd usually prefer something like a goats cheese or a continental hard cheese like Comte or pecorino.  Cheddar for me is a bit of an everyday cheese, probably because we always have a block in the fridge.  This cheddar though is very different to the mature blocks you get at Sainsbury's or Tesco's.  It's flavour is rich and deep, with an almost mouldy edge.  It is hard and somewhat crumbly.  It is best eaten with a large bit of brown, crusty bread, onion - pickled if you must!- and maybe some tomato chutney and olives on the side.  Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment